Last weekend, I tried this recipe and it was a hit with everyone who had one. If you are looking for a last minute holiday treat to bake, here's the recipe for your consideration.
1 1/4 cups softened butter
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely crushed striped round peppermint candies (about 18)
48 red maraschino cherries with stems, drained
1. preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly coat 1 3/4" muffin cups with cooking spray
2. In large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed 30 seconds. Gradually beat in 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat in peppermint extract, vanilla and egg. Beat in as much of the flour as you can. Using a spoon, stir in any remaining flour and candies.
3. Place remaining 3/4 cup powdered sugar in a shallow dish. Shape dough in 1-inch balls; roll in powdered sugar. Press each ball into bottom and up sides of prepared muffin cups.
4. Place cherry, stem side up, in each cup. Bake about 12 minutes or until pastry is browned. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cool 10 minutes in pan.
5. Using sharp knife, loosen tassies from cups. Makes about 48.