Monday, September 15, 2008

Remember This Face?

As I have said on this blog before, I love Project Runway. I love the drama, the fashion, the characters, but I especially enjoy the design aspect of the show. I've never been a big clothes person, maybe because I've never had the money to buy freely. Perhaps the only exception to this was when I was a teenager. My sister and I made almost our whole wardrobe. I used sleeves from this pattern with the body of that pattern. I mixed and matched at will. I made daring fabric selections. People recognized my sister and I at school because of our clothes. Mini skirts were in style. A-line dresses, tights, pant suits, double knit fabric, these were all in fashion back then.

The thing that got me to thinking about this was something else I found yesterday in my old sketchpad. It was a picture I drew of this girl. Remember this face?



It is my attempt to draw this 1960s fashion icon.

It's Leslie Hornby, better known by her nickname, Twiggy. She was 16 when she became what the Daily Express, a British newspaper, named the Face Of '66. She literally changed the fashion world with her skinny body, her fake eyelashes, the painted on bottom lashes and her androgynous look. Someone aptly said that Twiggy put the mod in modeling.

Twiggy retired from modeling after four years saying, "You can't be a clothes hanger for your entire life." She went on to act in movies and on the stage. She has also released three music albums. Today at 59, she is modeling again for the British department store, Marks and Spencer.


Before anorexic Kate Moss, there was super skinny Twiggy.

The thing I liked about Twiggy the most was her eyes. I loved lots of eye makeup, especially blue shadow. I love eye makeup today still. I have a theory about something...I'm not sure, but she may be the reason I always draw eyes. If I have a pen and a piece of paper, chances are I will draw a set of eyes. I may add a nose and lips if I'm in the mood, but I always draw the eyes. Twiggy made an indelible impression on me, just not in the way you might have thought.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lady! I just checked your location! Alabama:) I was born there!

    I especially dig Twiggy's tights! I want a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I immediately recognized Twiggy! All that mascara was a dead giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post, Stevie. Regarding Twiggy... she's someone I've always heard of but I think today was my first time to see her picture.

    Judging from your delightful artistic style I'd say you were probably one hip high school girl.

    By the way, where did you go to high school? My dad started at Phillips and finished at Berry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steviewren. I was too young to know of Twiggy at the time. I came of age during the "Cheryl Tiegs" era. Looking at your photos of Twiggy....I can't say she thrills me but I can guess that back in the 60's her 'look' was very new, very different. And a catchy name too. Maybe she started the 'one name only' phenomenon? But no, that might have been Liberace. Anyway, your drawing of her is quite a remarkable interpretation. Her eyes do stand out. I wish you'd post some pics of you wearing your creations back in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twiggy!! What a fun, fun post, Stevie! I can see why you loved to draw her eyes!

    I'm TAGGING you for a meme! This one is easy and FUN, I promise! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for welcoming me back from vacation Steviewren :-) California was amazing but it's good to be home.

    I recognixed Twiggy right away in your drawing....I loved her too. I had the white go go boots and "poor boy" short sleeve knit sweater and fish net stockings and thought I was cool...lol!

    I read through all the posts I missed --loved the water color and all you calendar art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I remember Twiggy! Her eyes were amazing, weren't they? I guess you couldn't help but notice them because there wasn't much else to her! I've been catching up on your postings. Love the calendar doodles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those eyes are unmistakable...She sure was an original at that time..Fun drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat drawing of Twiggy. I think she is still so pretty. I loved her look then and now. It's amazing how some of the 'mod' look still keeps coming back. If I had just saved some of those items I would be so in style. I guess they would be rotten from over 40 years ago. Like I always say, "We all have our turn to be cute!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember Twiggy - I think my friends and I all started eating salads for lunch to try to get more of a Twiggy figgie. As I drove past a bus stop near my office I saw one of my "mod" co-workers standing there posing in the Twiggy toes in style. The eyes have though, don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter loves PRW, I watch the last half hour with her almost every week. I love the drama. I do not really get high fashion, but I do like the show. I watched the Coco Chanel movie on Lifetime this week. I think it was worth the three hour investment, minus commercials I love DVR! Twiggy, I was six when her modeling career was over...but I still remember her being "all that" in the fashion industry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Twiggy, Carnaby Street, Mary Quant... a definite moment in fashion history!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning...I've not heard of Twiggy before, but I liked a bit of the history you shared today. And I too, like the eyes. I feel the eyes of a individual says alot.

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah yes, Twiggy jumped out at me from the page. I can remember kidlets dressing up as Twiggy for Halloween.. all that Mary Quant makeup.

    I also had the obligatory lime green miniskit, fishnets and matching vinyl purse and shoes. (shudder!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i so wanted to have twiggy's eyes back then!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."