Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Cabinet of Curiosities All My Own

Recently, I decided that I want one of these; a cabinet of curiosities. As in, curiosities- An object that arouses interest, as by being novel or extraordinary: kept the carved bone and displayed it as a curiosity. Upon reflection, it seems that I may be getting a late start since a collection of this caliber, given my merger means, would best have been undertaken decades ago. But be that as it may...better late than never, huh?

First things first...the cabinet. It should be made of heavy wood of undetermined origins, stained a deep expresso. For character please add a few strategically placed wormholes. It's shelves must be deep enough to hold the skull of a large jungle cat, delicate enough to display a robin's egg to advantage, and it must let in enough natural light so that viewers are able to count the mosquitoes encased in a hunk of amber resin.

Now let's see, yes of course....some of Betsy's starfish, maybe Lavinia can find me a bird's nest, how about it Willow will you lend me that stuffed rooster? Yep, those objects would make a great beginning for my little cabinet! Okay, yes, that's a good start...now let's see, my conch shell, the Mayan fertility statue BB gave me upon his return from Central America (okay, it's not real I know, but come on-work with me friends!), my genuine pebble from Omaha Beach, that old piece of lava from Hawaii, some arrowheads, some found objects of questionable origins...



....yes, yes, now we're talking, more, more....Oh man I almost forgot! I have to make room for BB's bona fide, real, authentic arrows that he received in trade from an
aboriginal native of Papua New Guinea in return for giving him his own blue jeans.

hand carved


wicked blades...some for pigs and some for men

The rare object, shown below, is in fact a one of a kind artifact known in certain circles as a dust fetish. It was once used by natives of an isolated South Pacific island to ward off dust devils. It's magic powers were legendary on the island. The delicate markings on the base denoted each time this artifact was taken by the warring factions on the island. The shells, which you can see upon close inspection, were given in payment for the fetish's ransom and the pearls denote its great worth to the inhabitants of the island. (can you tell how much I love artistic BS?)

Dust Fetish circa 2001 3-D Art Class
Assignment: take a useful object, take away its usefulness by transforming it into an object of art

How about you? Have anything to donate to my little cabinet of curiosities?

ps Ever wonder who thinks up the stuff in the movies? Check this out to find the real life inspiration for Indiana's crystal skull.

9 comments:

  1. I don't think that I have anything to add to it, but I sure am committed to watching it grow. Very cool. And your feather duster artifact cracked me up. Very well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steviewren, I love your cabinet! It's a treasure trove....you have so many very interesting things...you'll have to put spotlights above the cabinet, to show everything inside to best advantage...
    I can add this: A genuine wooden collar and bell from one of the goats that my mother tended when she was young. It's rustic but attractive, and it makes a sound reminiscent of the hillsides of Greece. Also, its old. Really old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect addition Lavinia. Just the type of curiosity I'm looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll add 2 sets of hand carved Aboriginal Rhythm sticks that I purchased from a tribeswoman/artisan in the Australian Outback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gg grandfather, Palestine, had an extensive collection of curiosities in a huge wooden cabinet. Most of them were Indian relics. But also a hodgepodge of other oddities. I would spend hours peering into that cabinet. I'm sure that is why I like these kinds of things. Right up my alley! Love, love, love your stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you can use a few starfish! And how about a nest with an unhatched blue robin's egg? I have it in a glass dome....and some sharks teeth? Now it's perfect! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! The collection is coming along nicely. Thank you everyone for your generous contributions.

    Maybe we can get it fixed up and charge an admission...Come one, come all...see the Cabinet of Curiosities. See it to believe it!

    I think I like the sound of that. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about an ancient Kenyan honeypot made from a gourd and leather. Though its pretty old it still reeks of honey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom, that was the best BS I have heard in a log time! You could make a lot of extra money writing college students papers!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."