Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Favorite Way to Spend a Weekday

My favorite way to spend a weekday is at home. I took today off to work in my yard. Needless to say I am out of shape and have decided I must take a break.

I thought I might share some of my observations on a spring day at home:

Softly blowing wind makes the leaves swish like taffeta skirts at an old fashioned ball.
The overcast day is lit gently, its light diffused as if poured through gauze. Birds rest atop branches, sing a bar or two, then fly on. Somewhere a single bird chirps in a monotone like the sound of a smoke alarm when its battery is running down. There is just enough humidity in the air to feel like moisturizer on my face, soft and smooth
. I love being at home.


See, I really can sit in my chair and daydream the day away. I must get up and go back to work.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, yard work. My father was fixing a table on my deck for me today and I said to him that I can see why people hire others to open their summer homes. We do not have a summer home, but that would be nice. I never seem to do the little things in the fall that would make everything easier in the spring. I will be looking for pictures of your hard work.
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denice, my yard is in need of more hard work than I can give it. I worked until I was pooped but it is still a mess. I did manage to get my pots planted for my front porch and a couple of things planted in the yard. On Saturday I am going to tackle the bed near the mailbox. It is my only flower bed in the full sun so it is the only place I can plant blooming flowers. It is full of nut grass. I sprayed it with Round-up twice but that stuff is not dead yet! UGH! I guess I will try to dig it out but if I don't get the nut it will grow back. DOUBLE UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Steviewren, you had a marvelous day, and it inspired the dreamy poetry you have composed. Love that line about the light being poured through gauze....
    Days like that seem suspended in time...

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."