Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Chair With A View

Before the favorites tour continues just let me say, I wish I could tell you that "this is my favorite view of my living room"...but I can't because it belongs to Anna Maria Horner. But, if I was as talented as her you can be sure this is what it would look like rather than what I am about to show you. I like my room but I like her's better! If you have never heard of her please visit her blog and her online store. She designs fabulous fabrics. I love the cheery, bright palette that she uses here.

I love natural light and I am lucky to have that in abundance in my living room. With it's tall A-framed ceiling and big windows it is a bright happy room. My favorite chair is positioned so that I can while away many happy hours looking out into the trees and daydreaming the day away.

I keep plenty of reading material on the side table and have a warm blanket to cover up with it I get cold. I love the two pictures hung above the chair. The top one is of Beatrix Potters home and the bottom one was recovered by my ex from a home where he was working years ago. Can you believe someone moved away and left it behind?

Here is my view. This photo was taken at 7 pm tonight. You will have to imagine the blue skies and drifting clouds I will see here tomorrow.

To the side of my chair sits this restored chiffonier. Glass shelves were added to the inside and I use it as a curio. It holds some of my clock collection, a set of steins my uncle brought home from Germany in the 60s and old glassware I inherited from both of my grandmothers.

This is one of my favorite pictures. It hung in my bigmother's (my mother's mother) home during my childhood. I asked for it when she died. I moved the room around after Christmas this year and still haven't re-hung this picture. The paper backing is falling away and the whole picture continually threatens to fall out. I hate to put new paper on it to fix it because it might lose some of its genuineness. Of course I will have to repair it one day. The name of it is La Loge or The Theater Box 1874 by Pierre-Auguste Renoir. He is my favorite of the Impressionists.

When it gets dark this is a cozy spot to curl up in and read a magazine or two. This is a good spot to watch a movie from also.


So, have a seat. Put your feet up on the ottoman. I'll put the popcorn in the microwave. What movie would you like to see? How about Fiddler On The Roof?

13 comments:

  1. Put it on my dear, for it is one of my favorite musicals of all time. Your little corner is lovely. Thank you for inviting us in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes yes! Fiddler is a must tonight, since I've been singing all the songs today (in my head, actually, because my voice is too croaky). So please, put on the popcorn! And have some tissues handy, because I am known to cry at certain spots.

    You collect old wind up clocks, too?! I am continually surprised by all the things we have in common. Most of mine were displaced last year, when my new tv took up two shelves in my bookcase. Yours are so artfully displayed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful spot, and you painted such an inviting picture of it all. I also love that Renoir--and it sounds like it has special meaning to you because of its heritage. Count me in on the movie. Sounds fun. Pretty lamp,too, by the way! Lovely spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see myslef sitting in that chair, reading a few magazines drinking a cup of coffee. The red chair against the yellow wall is so pretty. Red and yellow is a favorite combonation of mine. I watched Miss Potter this weekend. Are you a fan of Beatrix Potter?
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see we have the same colour walls...yellow. A sunny,cheery colour.

    Well I am really enjoying this tour. You have alot of interesting things to show and to look at. And your window is spectacular; what a view of the sky it affords.

    Now as to the movie, no, put Fiddler on the Roof away. I've brought "Gambit", a movie in which Shirley MacLaine was at the height of her beauty, and in fact plays a mysteriously "reincarnated" beauty.

    Don't worry if you've never heard of it...there's Michael Caine and Herbert Lom in it too, and I can vouch that you'll enjoy it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Settle back and get comfy friends, the movie is about to begin. Here pass the popcorn around.

    Willow I was surprised when you posted about your interest in old alarm clocks also. I have them stuck here and there through out the house. I am attracted to their design. There is something about the physical representation of time that makes me like them too. Hmmmm...

    Brush with color, thanks for the compliment about the lamp. It is a recent purchase. I began collecting things to redecorate my bedroom a few months ago. I bought a set of these because I wanted a matching pair for my bedside tables. I was thinking about symmetry but asymmetrical may be the way the bedside tables wind up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lavinia, I have never heard of the movie but I'm game if everyone else is!

    I do enjoy my buttery yellow walls. This room makes me happy and I think the color has a lot to do with it.

    BTW, glad you could drop in for my open house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm, I can smell the popcorn popping. Don't forget the salt, and hey, have you got any of those flavoured toppings?

    Oh, darn, my ice has melted, excuse me a moment while I get some new icecubes...does anyone else care for any?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cozy, yet bright, corner, Steviewren! I love the yellow and red color scheme and the mix of antique and modern. The print that was found in the trash reminds me of an early NYC street scene...very nice! Your curio is beautiful too.
    "Fiddler On The Roof" always makes me cry...I haven't been able to watch it to the end for years...silly me... I don't know why?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat the lyrics to the last song make me sad too.

    "A little bit of this, a little bit of that.
    A pot, a pan, a broom, a hat.

    Someone should have set a match to this place years ago.
    A bench, a tree.
    So, what's a stove? Or a house?
    People who pass through Anatevka don't even know they've been here.
    A stick of wood. A piece of cloth.

    Anatevka, Anatevka"say

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Nice to meet you!, I put in my list for fun virtual Party! Your blog is amazing, nice pictures and so cute decoartion! see you soon in my party!!!!!!!!!xoxoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your big windows in the living room. I adore a home filled with natural light. That's what I love about our house -- tall window that let the sunlight pour in.

    Your living room looks like a delightful and cozy place to live in and enjoy home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your little corner of your house. I wonder what I would call my favorite corner of my home? It is all still so new to me. Maybe I will discover it over the summer.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."