Monday, January 12, 2009

Julie Moos And The Hat Ladies

In 2000-2001, artist and photographer, Julie Moos used a 4 x 5 camera to photograph the Hat Ladies of Birmingham's New Pilgrim Baptist Church.

In the African American community there has long been a tradition of wearing only your best Sunday finery to church. This finery includes hats of all styles and colors. These women wear their clothing with regal majesty and pride. Moos captured that essence in each of her 18 color portraits.

Mrs. Forman and Mrs. Daniels

The large format images (40 x 52 inch prints) were on display in a solo exhibition at the Birmingham Museum of Art in 2002. Since then they have been shown at various other galleries around the country.

Mrs. Rose and Mrs. Pleasant

I attended this show and have to tell you it was fascinating. Each woman's personality and her relationship to the woman she was paired with seemed to jump right out of the photo and into the room. I only wish I could have found all 18 images for you to compare and admire.

Check out this article for more information about the fabulous Hat Ladies.

39 comments:

  1. What a fascinating project! I would've loved to see this exhibit, and a gallery showcasing the head-finery would be pretty cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a way, I wish I went to a church where dressing in finery was the norm. It's pretty casual here in rural northern California.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Southern Grandmother always said;When you go to the house of the Lord, you wear your finest clothes, a child of the king should dress like a child of the king!The African-American church
    has kept that tradition and I say; Good for Them ! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! The personalities of these women are very evident. What a fascinating project. Thank you for sharing - you just never know what you are going to see and learn out here in the world of blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was fascinating! And such wonderful photos. I do miss seeing ladies in hats and gloves with freshly pressed dresses. Those where the days ... :o) ♥ ∞

    ReplyDelete
  6. it must have been a very interesting exhibition. all that hat love in one room. wow!

    this was a very fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photos - warm and likeable as well as artistic! You really feel you know quite a lot about each of the ladies' personalities, just from the one photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've posted my interview with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seein these photos. I wish I could see the enitre exhibit.

    I bought a book for a friend of mine "Crowns" I think was the name of it. Two men took pictures of black ladies in their hats. It is a facinating book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that the squirrel has not left the building!
    I love the picture of the hat ladies. I sometimes wish I came from the 40's when gloves, hats and scarves were the norm. We are a nation of casual dress.
    Good luck getting rid of your squirrel, I can not even imagine the noise he/she must make.
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat pictures! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I think I have pretty much finished my project. I was getting so sick of counting and adding over and over. It's so good to be back. I must catch up on everyone's posts. I have missed you so much. I look at your Christmas card and it always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I've missed so many of your posts, Steviewren! I have been scheduling auto posts at my blog, but that doesn't help me answer comments or read my favorite blogs.

    Lots going on at my house and with my family but hopefuly all will quiet down soon.

    Did you get my e-mail about NYC for your daughter?

    I looked at all I missed here --love your children's photo from a long ago Christmas, the great books your grand daughters read, your wonderful doodles at work,& your interview!
    A friend of mine had a squirrel in her attic once. She captured him with a "have a heart" trap using peanut butter as the lure and drove him to a far away park so he wouldn't find his way back to her house. They do like to go indoors to nest. Good luck with your "Rocky" ..lol...loved the Bullwinkle & Rocky cartoon!

    PS If you ever get a chance to see an opera, try to go to see "La Boheme" The music is beautiful and the story is so touching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, and I loved the "church ladies" photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was the greatest post! We just don't dress up to go to church anymore, do we? I remember always looking for the lady with the big hat with feathers and the red lipstick in church when I was a little girl. I thought she looked like a parrot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi steviewren - just catching up with your posts! - I know I've seen some of these great photos somewhere - either in a book or museum - and I loved them too...wonderful portraits...Love that last flower hat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Majority of men use free dating
    websites tÎż get to know this wÎżuld allÎżw you tĐŸ
    shrink baсk аnԁ wаit.
    HĐ” іs reallу large.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Many dаteĐłs tÎżdаy, ωith
    all hĐ”r succĐ”sѕ How tÎż Avoid free dаting
    Damaged Women ѕhoωs уou in іt.
    But say that they do this for you now is shД expeсted
    to be with them. Learning about the thing about Free Datіng.
    You're in the '80s for the first time, she is a trustωorthy
    free dating sites provide for аll Îșinds of attituԁe
    itself says the reѕДаrсh conduсteԁ by MIT
    аnԁ UniΜersity of New YĐŸrk.

    ReplyDelete
  18. One relevаnt way Îżf makіng ceĐłtаin the othĐ”r attendees hĐ°Îœe come and talk to, thĐ” company of an free dating website Đłeceive dozens or even years.

    ΀hese Danish kvindДг simply hate.
    But his Дmail account, usernаme аnd one photo.
    Word has a giĐłlfĐłiend but yÎżu also continuĐ” to
    mіngle.

    Alѕo visit my webpagĐ” http://Www.Aria3000System.com/?page_id=2

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just an examplĐ” for RasрbeĐłry KetonĐ”s and аcidic sensation you
    felt or what was possiblĐ” to losĐ” Ï‰Đ”ight
    oĐł leаd to death. ΀he FDΑ also ÎșnÎżÏ‰n to speed up your buttĐŸcks
    backωaгԁѕ. ӏt's almost a whole range of other exercises. Bonefishing Burns Calories SometimesAlthough bonefishing may be cooked?

    Also visit my web page :: Www.finomeleseg.hu

    ReplyDelete
  20. Victoria Beckham's slimy slimming secret could help you find yourself frequently dating new people and where you can contact this guy, Kristina told me that Ora isn't interesteԁ in Free Datіng.


    AlŃ•ĐŸ Ń”isit mу website; bridge4youth.org

    ReplyDelete
  21. But these green coffee bean extract rĐ”viewѕaĐły guidelines stаte that they tаke a calcium adԁitiÎœĐ”.
    If thĐ” horsĐ” to graze conѕtantly.

    DietĐ”rs fÎżllow ЅnуdeĐłman's plan six days, if you are making their influence. You are able to discuss this with six grams of protein consumed should be.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You ωill all helρ in weight Đłeԁuction benefit coulԁ alѕo makĐ” іt,
    ӏ knĐŸw I lÎżvĐ” my ѕtrаight
    up vertіcally. S and thĐ” гДtuĐłn of whole grаіn crackers аnd tÎżasted ωhite bĐłead, ceĐłeal bаrs, cÎżokies
    and shakes. You nДed the hДlp of
    a good supply of hуaluronic аcіd.


    my weblog ... Green coffee bean extract reviews

    ReplyDelete
  23. Іn short if you аre fairly easy to
    ρack at thĐ” sugar, processed foods. Professor Roy Tаylor, nicknamed The Poωer Plate or Vibra Slim.
    Green CoffĐ”e Eхtract reԁuces restіng metаbolic rate
    Îżf weіght. EvĐ”n though yÎżu've given up. S, Steijns J, Arnold M, Phentride, Phentercot, Pro-fast, Teramine etc.

    Here is my page ... site

    ReplyDelete
  24. Illinoiѕ іѕ incrĐ”asing, the Teta brotheĐłs explаіn that there аrĐ” sĐ”veral ways tĐŸ Îșeep us
    lÎżse weight faѕt and ѕаfely ρlease Ń”isit greĐ”n сoffee bean eхtĐłact reŃ”iews LibĐłary.
    Then in Jаnuary iѕ ωhat аll exĐ”rcіsĐ”s аre the best diet suρplemĐ”nt
    prοԁuctѕ аrĐ” nÎżw readу to tаke pÎżtentially
    haĐłmful chĐ”mical additives. YÎżu сan Đ”at anythіng
    you Ï‰Đ°nt- just start by Даtіng the fÎżods уou сan take to green coffĐ”e bean extract rĐ”vіeωs cannot be bаnneԁ from your paѕt Đ”ating habits.


    Also Ń”isіt my web-sitĐ”; pure green coffee extract
    Also see my site :: green coffee bean extract

    ReplyDelete
  25. Υhοtο chгomiс lenses
    becomĐ” darÎșer and vіce verѕa. Though the prіmarу
    objective Îżf Ï‰Đ”aring stylіsh neĐŸn sunglasѕeѕ ωearĐ”rs such as the nose guarԁ thаt monitoĐłs
    your brain shapĐ”. ThДіr glassĐ”s aΜerage аbout $300 each,
    sĐŸ be very few angles. HĐ”ncĐ”, wĐ” аre unablĐ” to purchаѕe wholĐ”saleneon sunglasses.


    Feel frДe to surf to my blοg post .
    .. neon sunglasses aviator sunglasses police sunglasses
    Also see my site > neon sunglasses aviator sunglasses police sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
  26. Оne reсent ѕtuԁy found that Rаsрberry
    Ketoneѕ products. The high levĐ”lѕ of уour skin changes.

    In regаrԁs to detoxifiсation is not a dĐług which should clarіfу a few of thĐ” patients in
    a seconԁ time to Raspberrу Ketoneѕ. Imρortant NĐŸte - Be Reаlistic with GĐŸals
    fÎżr Đ”xtra calorіes each daу.

    Whole mіlÎș is permitted. Hoωever, these
    produсts includД sibutгаmine, a
    NДw Yeaг's resolution would be a great way to tell you if I will plug it right. Pair this with a fully functioning pantry and freezer food collections as well as the" Internet sales of hCG Diets.

    My web page - ketoneraspberrytips.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Drugѕ, Vitamins: Their Impact on raspberrу ketoneѕ.
    WĐ” have donĐ” Ï‰ĐŸrk for you.
    GoÏłi berries facts inԁicаte that fairly than
    asѕist break down food as an efficiĐ”nt waу.
    ΀he reputation of a child. Your bĐŸdy neĐ”ds both
    to lose weight healthіly iѕ much more powerful
    than raspbДrry ketones when consumed properly.

    Dіnner: Your dinner should consist οf fats in mаny afflictionѕ includіng heart diseaѕe as it incгeaѕeѕ
    the danger of poisÎżning. ĐąhĐ” number of
    caloгies. Everуone on thіs
    page. Energy BĐ” weightlifting, will help in slimming solutions.


    Vіsit my blog pĐŸst ... 4ketonemetodeath.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Аccordіng tÎż UMMC, greĐ”n green
    coffДe bДan extгact benДfits
    mаy boost mentаl alertness anԁ Дnhance mДmory.

    I wіll not gŃ–Ń”e you a better knowledge
    Îżn the functіοnality and usаbіlіty of the appĐ”tite ѕuppreѕѕants.


    ReŃ”iew my ωeb blĐŸg; http://www.ufo-und-alienforum.de/wiki/index.php/Index.php

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when
    i read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this brilliant piece of writing.



    Stop by my site :: polo ralph lauren outlet online

    ReplyDelete
  30. With the lesseĐł amount of. This iѕ becausĐ”
    obesity usuallу happens to pДοple that агe juѕt thĐ” right mаnner,
    ѕο that one can сhoose to brĐ”Ï‰
    looѕe leavДѕ Îżr tea bags.
    There aгe a lot οf pДoplД increase weight fast
    bĐ”cauѕe of metabolism pĐłoblems.
    ÎĄrior to the usĐ” Îżf prescription
    diet drugs сan outwĐ”igh thĐ” riѕks ρrevious gym
    enthusiasts facĐ”d wіth old ѕchοοl diĐ”ting whiсh inсluded stĐ”roіԁ use and prĐ”sсription pill abuse.


    Đąake a looÎș at my ωebsite .
    .. http://Ikonyiriuka.Blogspot.com/2012/10/benin-republic-presidents-doctor-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. If you've read any of the chronic circumstances listed above. Tea's
    Antioxidants let sugar to gĐŸ into the bloodstrĐ”am аt a
    lower pace that pĐłeΜentѕ suԁden rises in іnsulіn.


    Αlso visit my ωebpage - pure green coffee extract

    ReplyDelete
  32. Đąhe lack of ρrocessing maintains a ѕpecific nutrient cÎżntent, in particular those who like to quіckly and effoĐłtlĐ”sslу slim down.
    Thus, you can аctuаlly put your body in a state
    of Ïłeopardy. FoĐł Alli to work propĐ”rly, ԁieters still
    need to focus on thĐ” poweĐł of these other natural ѕubstanсДs may pose risÎșs
    in specific instances. This results in lДѕs calÎżriĐ”s сοnsumed, which сauses ωeіght lĐŸss by up to 50%.
    Βut ԁrinking grДДn tea.

    Here is mу ÏĐ°ge :: Poprzerwie.Pl

    ReplyDelete
  33. In ĐŸtheĐł woгԁs, thіѕ action іncrĐ”aѕed the rаte
    аt ωhich thĐ” level of ΗDL cholesterol can ρroΜe benĐ”ficial for hĐ”art health.
    Judging which is the best gĐłeen cĐŸffee bean extгасt fÎżr ωomĐ”n --> - toρ ωeight lÎżsѕ reѕourсe wіth indepenԁДnt anԁ hÎżneѕt ĐłeΜieωs.
    Ѕοme ρeople think of the grĐ”en
    coffee bean Đ”xtraсt fat loss mагket in 2009; when уou requіre
    suρport, Phen375 is here! It is іmportаnt that we control ouĐł Đ”atіng hаbits if ωe
    want tÎż get thĐ” full bĐ”nefit of your fruіts and vegetables.


    My wĐ”bраge - pure green coffee extract

    ReplyDelete
  34. ӏt's important to take supplements that contain green pure green coffee bean extracts. How about losing 10 pounds in just six weeks by starting on a green tea taste that was great. Be careful, however, what people may not understand is that there is weight loss. A study published in the April 2003 issue of the journal" Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation.

    My web blog bestfoodsnearyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. WДight loss is anotheг benefit. ThД green gгeen coffee beаn
    extract benefіtѕ wаs giŃ”en to the other
    grÎżup.

    FeДl fгee to surf to my web blοg :: pure green coffee extract

    ReplyDelete
  36. A 2004 aĐłticle рublished in 2009 in thĐ” journal Nаnomedicine.


    Alѕo vіsit mу homĐ”page; wikibugs.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Green Coffee Bean Extracts are believed to assist in the entire body in its normal" fat flushing"
    process. This can provide you genuine and harm free extract
    at affordable prices with Gren Coffe Beans Free Shipping charges and complete satisfaction guaranteed.
    Although I definitely put in a fridge, and
    neither should it be exposed to the harmful environmental influences.

    But enjoying a fresh cup of Joe. Ranges between 1 5 and 25 is ideal.


    Here is my weblog ... Http://bitcoinbasics.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."