Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bon Voyage

Warning!! I am about to go all around the world to recommend a movie I think you might enjoy.

I finally found a few minutes to browse through my April issue of Traditional Home today. Near the end I found this beautiful home. The magazine calls this style "tradfusion: Trad marries Mod in One Fab Collaboration."

Simply elegant, don't you think?

Tres Chic, non?

But these special design front doors are what made me realize that a movie I love had been floating in the back of my mind almost the whole time I read this article.

("Ahhhhh, this is what I will blog about today" I thought as I got up to walk to the computer.)

As I walked down the hall I realized that I was listening to this CD. With it's mixture of songs and artists it is great French mood music.

Ah now, to the subject of this post....Bon Voyage, directed by Jean-Paul Rappeneau in 2003 and starring Gerard Depardieu, Isabelle Adjani and Peter Coyote. It is the story of Paris in the 1940s just prior to German occupation. Even though the subject matter sounds serious, the movie is actually quite a funny farce, making fun of movie stars, government officials and the rich socialites of Paris who are perturbed that the Germans are interrupting their carefree lifestyles.

Since it is a foreign film you do need to be prepared to read the subtitles unless you speak French. Here is a link to the movie trailer. If you do see it please let me know what you think. I've seen it a couple of times and it never fails to delight me.

ps I forgot to mention why this magazine article brought the movie to mind. The movie star's French apartment is decorated in the art deco style. I was reminded of the glass doors at the entrance of her building by the front doors of this home. Yes, I do know that my mind works in a convoluted manner...what can I say?

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like a delightful movie, just the sort of thing I like. I'm adding it to my Netflix queue.

    I came over to your blog from Willow Manor...this is my first visit, but I can see you have a lot of interesting things to share...I shall be back.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've seen this film and it is great! I love Gerard Depardieu. And the art deco and costumes are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steviewren, your mind works just fine....I agree, a glimpse of something can send you off on a tangent or train of thought to something else....

    I will check the link to the movie trailer at work tomorrow...don't want to tax the home computer too much; it may shut down on me....

    I love the light fixture in the second photo, I've never seen anything like that. It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara. Thanks for visiting. Please come back anytime.

    Willow, I am so glad you liked it too.

    Lavinia, I was drawn to that light fixture in the dining room also. All of the rooms were eclectic but elegant at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steviewren!

    Popped over to say hi...had another look at these gorgeous pics...Notice how in the first photo, they have a different pattern on everything....the curtain, the vase, the sofa cushion...and yet it all blends together into a harmonious whole. That's good design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love going to random movies with you.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."