Monday, April 21, 2008

Hamish Macbeth

Recently, a friend suggested I read a novel by M.C. Beaton featuring a cast of lovable Scottish characters. I was hooked on these light mystery stories after just one book. The protagonist is Hamish Macbeth who is the constable of the small highland village of Lochdubh.

" the idea for the first Hamish Macbeth novel came to Chesney while she was learning to fly cast for salmon at a fishing school in northern Scotland. Macbeth is the town constable in Lochdubh, a small village in the Scottish Highlands. He keeps a low profile, preferring to have people assume he’s of limited competence and intelligence. But, despite the intervention of more high-powered police officials, he’s able to solve crimes by careful observation of the people involved. Hamish Macbeth’s quiet but steady process of investigation has lead one reviewer to say of a novel in this series, “The pleasures of the book are akin to those of a good gossip session with a perceptive old friend.”

If like me you try these books and enjoy them, you will be pleased to know that M. C. is quite prolific. There is also a British TV series based on the Macbeth character, but I've been told the books are more satisfying.
  • Death of a Gossip (1985)
  • Death of a Cad (1986)
  • Death of an Outsider (1988)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (1989)
  • Death of a Hussy (1991)
  • Death of a Snob (1992 )
  • Death of a Prankster (1992)
  • Death of a Glutton (1993)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (1993)
  • Death of a Charming Man (1994)
  • Death of a Nag (1995)
  • Death of a Macho Man (1996)
  • Death of a Dentist (1997)
  • Death of a Scriptwriter (1998)
  • Death of an Addict (1999)
  • A Highland Christmas (1999)
  • Death of a Dustman (2001)
  • Death of a Celebrity (2002)
  • Death of a Village (2003)
  • Death of a Poison Pen (2004)
  • Death of a Bore (2005)
  • Death of a Dreamer (2006)
  • Death of a Maid (2007)
  • Death of a Gentle Lady (2008)
So if you are in the market for something new, you might want to give M. C. a whirl.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love these titles! Death of a.....hmmmm, I don't see Death of a Salesman! Ha ha, I guess Arthur Miller got in there ahead of him. Gee, it was Arthur Miller, wasn't it? You'd think I would know, having studied the play in High School!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling my roots just by reading your blog! Love, love, love Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love light mysteries. I also like books that are written in a series. Maybe this could be summer reading.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."