Sunday, April 27, 2008

Random Thoughts on a Sunday Evening

It is on again off again raining this afternoon, some lazy thundering from time to time too. Occasionally the sun peeks through to see whats happening but there isn't enough activity for him to hang around for long. I'm sort of lazy too.

I think I will post a few unrelated pictures.

These toys need to be put away. They were the play companions of my grandchildren the last time they were here.

I have a thing about drawing eyes. Whenever I begin to doodle I inevitably sketch a pair of eyes. I don't know why, I just do.
Does anyone remember Green Stamps? My mother and my grandmother used to collect them. You were given them by participating grocery stores when you made purchases. I still have a teapot my grandmother gave me that she got with her stamps.


About 10 years ago one of my daughter in laws introduced me to my favorite home store. None are located in the state where I live, nevertheless I have managed to visit this store numerous times since my first visit. I love the feeling of delicious discovery that I get just before we arrive. You never know what you might find there but the best thing about it is that it will be affordable. : ) Big Smile!!

I even made and swapped Artist Trading Cards with someone once who loved Ikea also. I know...crazy nuts!

Isn't the rose bush my youngest son gave me last year blooming prettily?

Yesterday I packed up this bag of childhood memories and took them over to my daughter's home. We found these things when we cleaned out recently. They were in want of a good washing and a little TLC.

I have a small collection of jewelry, mostly from the 60s and the 70s. My granddaughters like to model it for me.


And now this little blue fairy sends her very best wishes to each of you for a magical week.

Happy Sunday Evening!

6 comments:

  1. That was fun! Yes, green stamps, how could I forget? I remember licking and pasting them into the little books. My daughter loves Ikea, but I don't have one here. Your granddaughters are adorable. I am looking forward to that stage, hopefully sometime in the next 20 years! tee hee

    BTW, I have that same Ralph Lauren green comforter in our guest (formerly daughter's) room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willow, I just began redecorating my bedroom recently so the color scheme is changing. I have had that green set for so long I don't remember how old it is.

    I had the sheets that matched but they literally rotted apart. I knew they were thin and threadbare but when I was replacing the pillowcase after washing, it ripped in my hands. I had new sheets for a while before I decided it was time to redecorate.

    I loved that set. The fabric felt like suede it was so soft and smooth. Actually, I am moving the comforter to a guest room. It is nicer than what is in there even after all these years. Ralph really knows how to make a quality product, doesn't he?

    We have to drive a little over 2 hours to get to the nearest Ikea. The first time I ever went was when my son lived in Ohio. We would drive to Pittsburgh. Then when they moved to Cleveland we drove from there once. I have another son who lives 5 minutes from one now....but I live 13 hours from him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Random Thoughts on Sundays.

    I also took picture of the toys you gave me. I am going to post about them soon. Love you eyes (I seem to draw eyes if I am sketching also). The Green Stamps sound like what the Texas girls do with HEB. "IKEA"-need I say more!

    I hope you have a magical week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an eclectic post. The toys look very retro--do they still make such simple toys (which are the best for imagination, I think), or do most of the toys sold today have too many bells and whistles on them?

    IKEA: Been there, done that.....but keep on doing that! I do wish, however, that they would add written instructions to their instruction sheets...

    Green stamps? A total mystery....I don't think they ever had them in Canada...

    Jewellery----I have a lot of my old jewellery too. The stuff I no longer wear found new life as dress-up for my daughter when she was younger, and even now, when she's having one of her "back to the 80's" days.

    I can't believe your roses are blooming already...another reminder of how far south you are.
    Charming photo.....do you cut blooms and put them in vases?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am old enough to remember green stamps. I "bought" a mutard glass lantern there once. Well, my Mom let me use her stamps. I was still living at home at the time. I also remember gasoline at 32cents a gallon and a stamp costing 6 cents. Yikes, I am getting old.
    I have never been to Ikea but we have bought things for our daughter there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lavinia, you are right. The pull dogs are old. One belonged to my 2 oldest children and the other belonged to my youngest. My granddaughters have all loved them.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."