Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pico De Gallo

Tonight I cooked Chicken Fajitas and made Pico de Gallo as a topping. I couldn't find/didn't want to take the time to find the recipe so I just made it up. It turned out pretty yummy. I put lots of cumin in my Mexican dishes.

I keep boxes of Green Giant white shoepeg corn in my freezer. It tastes good in a variety of recipes and it cooks in minutes in the microwave.

I made the pico with corn, fresh tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro and Vidalia onions. I'm not known as a neat cook.

I sauted chunks of chicken, onion, and bell pepper seasoned with cumin and Dales sauce and rolled it up in warm flour tortillas. I finished my fajita off by topping it with the Pico de Gallo , salsa and lite sour cream.
I can't break the habit of cooking for a house full even though it is just me now, so I boxed up lunches for 3 days.

It makes a filling meal, but not too heavy.

ps This 2 1/2 ft tall flower has come back each year in my flowerbed since I planted a wildflower mix a few years ago. Does anyone know its name?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Steviewren...I shoudl have been abed about an hour ago...but still a-whirling in the blogosphere....okay I'll post a comment here and then lights out.

    Would you believe, I have never heard of shoepeg corn (I thought that was a typo), or pico de gallo sauce. This must be southern regional cooking? Whatever, it looks absolutely delicious. Mmmmmmmmm yummy.

    The name of this flower is on the tip of my tongue....but it is just eluding me, so I hope some other bloggers can help you out. I bet as soon as my head hits the pillow, th name will come to me....

    Enjoy your fajita lunch tomorrow!

    Regards,
    Lavinia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lavinia, pico is a Mexican or a Tex/Mex dish. Here is a recipe link that I found on Food network.

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes
    /recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_10318,00.html

    I didn't put any peppers in mine. My salsa was spicy so I didn't want to much heat.

    You are right shoepeg corn is probably from the South. It has small sweet kernels. Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks incredibly yummy! I make chunky salsa quite a bit, but not pico. I'll have to give it a whirl...perfect summer thing. Yours looks really fresh and delicious. And your kitchen looks like mine does when I cook. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PHLOX! PHLOX! That is the name of your flower!

    It comes in a variety of colours...your purple is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so delicious! Mexican food is probably my favorite. I will have to try this. Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! So fresh and colorful. Come cook at my house?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your food looks so good! I want to eat it up! And you flowers look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."