Thursday, April 24, 2008

Soft Sculpture

I used to do a lot of sewing. When I was in high school I made most of my own clothes-dresses with sweetheart necklines, dresses with pouffy romantic sleeves, pastel pantsuits. When my daughter was young I made many of her little dresses also. Lately I find my thoughts returning to those clothes frequently. I wish I had some snippets of all that cloth. I would really like to make some type of collage with it. One day the ideas that are swirling in my head will take shape and I will do something with these memories.

Speaking of sewing, while I surfed the Internet a few nights ago I found something I think is really remarkable. This woman has a whole gallery of her soft sculptures on Flickr. The name of her blog is Sewn By Blythe.

Phone sculpture by Blythe
Click here to see what I'm talking about.

So what about you? Do you sew? Can't resist buying beautiful fabrics.? Secretly wish you could find the time to make a quilt? Me too!

6 comments:

  1. Stevie, I made all of my clothes in high school, too! I could even make bound button holes. I enjoyed the process of choosing a pattern (yes the sweetheart necklines and poofy sleeves) and fabric and creating something fun. Sadly, I haven't sewn for years. I repaired something on the machine last month and it took me forever to remember how to thread it. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do sew. I worked at a fabric store for about five years a long time ago. Took sewing in junior high. I have not made any clothes in years or maybe decades. I make alot of valances, pillows and pocketbooks. We had a fantastic fabric store that closed at Christmas time. Now all we have is Jo Anne's. I use to love searching through the remnents at the other store. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed your link and was amazed. Those images are extraordinary! A felt sewing machine...cameras...computer...and typewriter....that must have taken ages to make. BUt my fave was the gumballs..colourful and yummy!

    I am amazed at how creative some people are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the phone is so cute! i never excelled at sewing though my mother and grandmothers did. ashame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soft sculptures by Blythe are wonderful!
    Yes, I do buy beautiful fabrics, maybe a metre, just because they are beautiful.....but I don't sew. Not sure what I will do with them but maybe one day....
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! Can we say talent!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."