Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Famous Epitaphs

I know, I know, what in the world is she thinking of! Well, I titled the first part of my day today as "Black Mood Tuesday" (although it did wear off as the day progressed : ) so I may as well carry that thought to its conclusion tonight. So with that said, I give you these thoughts found on the tombstones of these famous departed folks.

Fly
Quoth the Raven,

"Nevermore"
-Edgar Allan Poe


and
"That's All Folks"
-Mel Blanc

Or what about...

A tomb now suffices for him whom the world was not enough
-Alexander the Great

Try following these rules:

How to Stay Young
  1. Avoid fried meats which angry up the blood.
  2. If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.
  3. Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.
  4. Go very light on the vices, such as carrying on in Society. The social ramble ain't restful.
  5. Avoid running at all times.
  6. Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige


When your life comes to its end maybe you would be interesting in being laid here along side the heart of Robert the Bruce. His heart was taken on crusade as a talisman, but only made it as far as Granada. It was returned to Scotland and laid it to rest here in Melrose Abbey instead.


Or perhaps you would rather be buried where the rest of Robert the Bruce lies...Dumfermline, Scotland. If you enlarge this picture you will see that King Robert the Bruce is carved out along the top of this church.

The cemetery where Samuel Taylor Coleridge is buried is quite beautiful. His remains rest here in Grasmere, England along with those of William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter.



Stop, Christian passer-by:
Stop, child of God,

And read, with gentle breast.
Beneath this sod

A poet lies, or that which once
seem'd he--

O, lift one thought in prayer
for S. T. C.--

That he who many a year
with toil of breath

Found death in life, may here
find life in death:

Mercy for praise--to be
forgiven for fame--

He ask'd, and hoped
through Christ.
Do thou the same.

-Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Legend has it that the Rock of Cashel is where Saint Patrick first used the shamrock to explain the concept of the holy Trinity to the Irish.

I'll end this somewhat macabre post with this very humble epitaph from the grave of Roy Rogers.

The Cowboy's Prayer
Oh Lord, I reckon I'm not much just by myself.
I fail to do a lot of things I ought to do.
But Lord, when trails are steep and passes high,
Help me to ride it straight the whole way through.
And when in the falling dusk I get the final call,
I do not care how many flowers they send--
Above all else the happiest trail would be
For You to say to me, "Let's ride, My friend."
Amen
Roy Rogers




6 comments:

  1. Wouldn't you love to be buried in one of those wonderful old Irish cemeteries? So green and full of history?

    WT was told me the other day that he is going to put this inscription on my tombstone:
    "she made great sauces". It sounds disgusting. People will envision a hefty woman eating gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "was told" ?? sorry about that typo...teehee... I really am an educated woman. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Willow, you are now an honorary member of my grammarless clue. Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what I would want my tombstone to say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this post very much! I love graveyards/cemeteries and have blogged about quite a few of them since I started blogging in Decemeber! :-) The are peaceful reflective places.

    I've been part of a Civil War project at Green-Wood cemetery in Brooklyn looking for unmarked veterans graves so that we can honor them with a grave stone. We've found over 3,000 veterans nad have ordered over 1,000 stones from the VA.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, this is a lovely blog and I enjoyed it very much. One thing though, Samuel Taylor Coleridge remains are now in St Michael's Church in Highgate where he lived. http://stmichaelhighgate.wordpress.com/history/

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."