Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Do You Etsy?

Do you know about Etsy? For those of you who are new to it, it is an online store where all the goods are handmade. The site was launched in 2005 and has quickly grown to have approximately 10,000 sellers and five times that many buyers. At least 90% of the sellers are women. They set up virtual shops. These give small entrepreneurs a chance to market their goods to a varied clientele.

I received my most recent Etsy purchase last weekend and I thought you might like to see it. Geninne lives in Mexico, so I never would have had the opportunity to see her work if it wasn't for Etsy. I plan on hanging this lovely print in my daughter's former room which I have set up for my granddaughters when they sleep over.

Her beautiful business card was tucked into the packaging. It's a piece of art by itself, don't you agree?

A couple of months ago I purchased this fabric brooch from Dog Daisy who lives in the UK. Once again, work I would know nothing about excepting for the internet and Etsy.

Isn't the stitching lovely? It was made to wear but don't you think it makes a nice framed piece of art?

Here is a photo of a print, bought from an Etsy shop of course, that adorns the wall above the granddaughters' bed. Underneath you can see the clay sun made by one of my little girls. LillyMoon is the artist who made this whimsical print. She lives in Corsica.

Art isn't the only thing for sale at Etsy. You can find almost any handmade thing your heart desires there. Some of our fellow bloggers have opened their own Etsy shops, like Alex from My Quill and Pen, Pamela from The House of Edward and Susan from 29 Black Street.

So this year during the season of gift giving, remember to check them out if you don't already Etsy.

8 comments:

  1. I agree, the business card is adorable! And I love the fabric pin...beautiful! I think I would wear it on my sweater instead of framing. I've browsed Etsy a few times...so fun!...but haven't bought anything yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Etsy and am always a fan of supporting the little guys (and gals!) with my business. And, there is so much inspiration to be found there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Etsy! My sister sells jewelry through them.
    And I think framing the pin is brilliant.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wondered what etsy was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your purchases are all lovely, Steviewren!

    I've bought a few handcrafted baby things for my grandson's baby shower from ETSY stores, and I'm sure I'll be buying more when he's born :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I didn't know about Etsy - I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Etsy my favorite four letter word? Is it a word? I spend too much time there...You made some wonderful purchases!
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loveley purchases! I agree with you about the brooch being framed and I love Geninne's work (and blog)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."