Friday, October 3, 2008

I Work Best Under Pressure

Diahn at Ottwork is sponsoring Artober. Her idea is for everyone who is interested to "every day in October, draw something, color with your kids, chalk on the sidewalk or paint a masterpiece. Post it on your blog and share it with the rest of us." I think I'll take the challenge.

I need the motivation. I drew on the final page of my previous sketchbook a couple of months ago. I immediately put the new pad I had already purchased in the big book bag that I drag back and forth to work every day. But then it just sat there. It's sort of intimidating to make the first mark on the first page. It took me 7 years to fill the last book.

With that said, this nonsense drawing was done on report paper after my work was done today. My inspiration came straight from the pages of Stampington's Holidays and Celebrations magazine. See pages 22-24 and the article by Leslie Wood. I love her junk angels fashioned from old hardware, found objects and vintage photographs.



Tomorrow a friend and I plan to attend the 45th annual Bluff Park Art Show. I love to look. I always leave there thinking, "this year I'll save some money each month so I can buy something bigger than a postage stamp next year." Yeah, I don't have any money this year either....so I'll just be browsing again. I'll try to snap some pics to share with all of ya'll.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, have fun at the art show and please do take photos. You should show some your art next year. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha it looks like queen elizabeth...about 60 years ago, ow do these royals just keep on going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you are joining us. Sometimes all it takes is a little nudge.

    Fun sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to say that is the coolest "nonsense drawing" I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is quite a lofty goal. Every day in October? I hope (I know!) you can do it. Think how you'll feel at the end of the month as you look back on all you accomplished.

    Hope you're enjoying your weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your nonsense drawing! What fun... and have fun at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun stuff. That art show.. what about joining them next year?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your drawings! I know you are up to the challenge!! I think you doodles would make great cards! They would make great gifts! I love today's drawing, sometimes I feel like I have two heads. Sad to say, I just don't have any crowns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to you sweet friends who suggest I show at an art show....one big deterrent to that is the fact that all of my stuff is truly just doodles and sketches...and since I'm not Picasso or da Vinci no one is interested in them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you are playing along! I love the angels - maybe nonsense drawings, but they are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH - and have fun at the art show - have you been to the Leonardo da Vinci show at the BMA yet? We are coming down in two weekends to see it! (Dr. SmartyPants is from B'ham - his parents are still there!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diahn, the da Vinci exhibit is on my short list of to-dos. I wish I could take off work and go during the week. I'm afraid weekends will be so crowded since it will only be here a short time and it's free.

    I'm supposed to go to Atlanta in February to see the King Tut show. My ex-husband and I went to New Orleans to see Tut when he was here in the 70s. The crowds were crazy. We stood in line for 6 hours.

    Have fun seeing it yourself!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."