Thursday, October 23, 2008

Murder Dinner Mystery

A few years ago, some dear friends began hosting their annual Murder Mystery Dinner. At least a month before the event, invitations are mailed to the participants. Everyone is assigned a character to play for the evening. Participants are expected to keep their identities under wraps until that night. Each person arrives at the party in character as well as in costume. Some time is spent getting to know one another over appetizers and drinks.

As each person is seated around the table for dinner, they are given a script and the fun begins. Someone was found murdered before the party began. Now the goal is to be the first to unravel the mystery. Who done it?

The setting for the first mystery dinner was a Mardi Gras party in New Orleans. I played Gothika, a .......wait for it.....Gothic mystery writer. As you may have already noticed, my friends are quite inventive with costuming, I am something of a dolt. After much thought about how to portray my new alter ego, this is what I came up with. (I am also cheap, so I didn't want to spend much money)

My goal was to channel an Anne Rice-ish persona. Being a writer, I felt I should take along some of Gothika's writings. Sadly, her book is out of print at this time, but there will be a short show and tell blog entry tomorrow for those of you who are fans.


The first annual Murder Mystery Dinner was declared a success, as everyone declared they had had a great time. New friends join the party each year. Let me know if you would like to read about other parties. I will be spending a part of this weekend getting this year's costume together. The party will be held November 1st.

(here's a little hint about my identity: this year my best friend is named Polly)


ps I was a little under the weather yesterday, hence no Artober offering. Today's artwork is the new blog banner. Each image is drawn or photographed and manipulated by me.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Outstanding new look! I love the new banner, the black background and all the little side bar pictures! You have out done yourself!!!! The party seems like a lot of fun and so do your friends! I love your costume! Very mysterious.
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun party! And I love the goulish header...even the sparrow has turned into a raven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new banner. VERY neat!! Purple is one of my favorite colors so of course I love it. You did a great job. The party looks and sounds so fun. I love stuff like that. Yes, I vote for more pictures of other parties. I think it's neat that you guys come up with your costumes. Very Goth girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of such a thing...but I so love the idea! How cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a fun idea for a party! I love your new banner and I love the Wednesday child images. They are so smart and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo...it's spooky over here! What a fun party. You look fab, as your character, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a great time was had by all. We didn't dress up, but we had a fun time pretending. The more people you get on board, the more fun you have.

    Your new banner is very spookity. Very clever, Stevie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Realized I forgot a sentence. 'I went to one of these parties years ago. We did not dress up, etc. etc. etc. '

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great time.. and your header is wonderful.. perfect for the month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. This is almost as scary as the childhood photo Willow posted the other day!! What a fun crew.

    And I love your new Halloweenish look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My two oldest daughters did one of these dinners last year. They had a blast. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got the Halloween look! Very scary - especially with all of those woeful Wednesday children. Your costume looks perfect for the part - love the gloves. Yes! So tell about your 11/1 party - I'll be sitting here with the Wednesday's Children waiting to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great fun! Love your long dark tresses and the lacey gloves. Your new banner is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun party! I've always wanted to do one of those, but never have. Can't wait to hear about your most recent one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh - I went to one of these once - and it was GREAT fun!

    I LOVE the new banner!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."