Last weekend, I tried this recipe and it was a hit with everyone who had one. If you are looking for a last minute holiday treat to bake, here's the recipe for your consideration.
1 1/4 cups softened butter
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely crushed striped round peppermint candies (about 18)
48 red maraschino cherries with stems, drained
1. preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly coat 1 3/4" muffin cups with cooking spray
2. In large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed 30 seconds. Gradually beat in 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat in peppermint extract, vanilla and egg. Beat in as much of the flour as you can. Using a spoon, stir in any remaining flour and candies.
3. Place remaining 3/4 cup powdered sugar in a shallow dish. Shape dough in 1-inch balls; roll in powdered sugar. Press each ball into bottom and up sides of prepared muffin cups.
4. Place cherry, stem side up, in each cup. Bake about 12 minutes or until pastry is browned. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cool 10 minutes in pan.
5. Using sharp knife, loosen tassies from cups. Makes about 48.
does it matter so much what they look like, so long as they taste great? my son loves cherries... must try these one day.ReplyDelete
Steviewren, I had a laugh at your cookies. Not a critical laugh but a fun laugh, as we all have failures sometimes! Failures are fun! As as you said, they all went quickly when you took them to work so they must have tasted marvellous! - DaveReplyDelete
They look good and seem easy to make...always a plus for me!ReplyDelete
I think yours look really tasty as well, the cherry is invisible, but instead a nice "surprise".;)ReplyDelete
Why, why, why don't the baked goods ever look like the picture in the book?!!! Doesn't affect the taste though and that's a good thing. They look really yummy!ReplyDelete
Hey, yours look pretty good to me! Pass me a couple, please. I need them with my tea this morning.ReplyDelete
Oh, that is too cute and funny! You mentioned these last week and I was hoping for a recipe. I've never even heard of them! Yum!ReplyDelete
Don't you love how food gets gobbled up in an office? :)
LOL an automatic handle, right? that would be my luck.ReplyDelete
i bet they taste good anyway.
Who cares how they look .. its all about how they taste .. IMO anywayReplyDelete
Ayyy ay the divine taste of cherry muffins! I love also this with dark chocolate.. Sorry but can't wait the holidays. This weekend I'll try this. Two fat kisses to you Stevie:)ReplyDelete
Mmmmm yummy! By the way, I LURVE your new banner!ReplyDelete
Please don't be insulted, they do look delicious but as I was looking at the picture of your Cherry Tassies, my daughter walked by and asked, "Did someone bake some muffins with insects in theme?"ReplyDelete
"Those are antennaes, right?"
That's hilarious! I think the same thing.ReplyDelete