Saturday, December 20, 2008

Movie Roll

Recently Willow from Life at Willow Manor listed a movie alphabet on her blog. I was over at Poetikat's Invisible Keepsakes last night and she took the challenge and posted an alphabet of foreign films. I tried to leave a few of my favorites in the comments, but Blogger was being difficult and I finally gave up. I just checked again and apparently my comment did take, but in the meantime, I've given the list a go myself. I couldn't cover the whole alphabet, but I've come up with a fairly comprehensive list of foreign films I've seen.


Amelie (French)
Antonia's Line (Dutch)
Billy Elliot (British)
Bon Voyage (French)
Buddy (Norwegian)
Children of Heaven (Iranian)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Chinese)
Eat Drink Man Woman (Chinese)
Dear Frankie (British)
Farewell My Concubine (Chinese)
Girl From Paris (French)
Golden Door (Italian)
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (French)
Joyeux Noel (French/German/British)
Man on the Train (French)
Monsoon Wedding (Indian)
Muriel's Wedding (Australian)
Nowhere In Africa (German?)
Once (Irish/British)
Paris Je T'aime (French)
Rabbit Proof Fence (Australian)
Ridicule (French)
Rosenstrasse (German)
Salaam Bombay (Indian)
Seven Samurai (Japanese)
Shall We Dance (Japanese version)
Tea With Mussolini (British)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (French)
The Triplets of Belleville (French)
Tsotsi (South Africa)
The Tunnel (German)
Under Solen (Swedish)
Volver (Spanish)
Whale Rider ( New Zealand)

Joyeux Noel 2005

If you are looking for a different kind of Christmas movie, check out Joyeux Noel. The setting is Christmas Eve during WWI on the battlefield in France. A short lived truce is called by both sides so that they can bury their dead and forget the war for one night. The events that take place are based on true accounts of that 1914 Christmas Eve.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Steviewren. Glad you enjoyed the New Zealand film. It was called 'Whale Rider' - just a small correction :). I enjoyed it too. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cimba. I knew it was Rider but still typed the wrong thing. I've corrected it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat! I need to watch more movies in my next life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, we like a lot of the same movies!! I've given up on modern American movies forever.

    We also love to watch Amelie and Muriel's Wedding.

    If you haven't done so already, check out:

    Cold Comfort Farm (comedy, UK)
    Babette's Feast (Dutch or French, can't remember which)
    Manon of the Spring (French)
    Jean de Flourette (French)
    Raise The Red Lantern (Chinese)

    There's a bunch of Chinese movies that are absolutely superb. I'm suffering from Brain Fade tonight. [lol]

    Thanks for sharing your list!
    Sparky ♥ ∞

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting list! I have been so busy I haven't had time to watch one Christams movie as yet this year.
    I love foreign films also but the bulk of the ones I've seen have been Italian. If you get a chance watch Cinema Paradiso in subtitles -- not dubbed--- it is such a beautful story.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list! Wow, I've not heard of several of those movies. I'm going to have to check one or two of the "new" ones to me out.

    Have a great week! :)

    **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite the list. I do not watch many foriegn films. I would like to do this list, American films, after January 1. It would be fun to do.
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I've seen 14 of these and actually own a copy of Joyeux Noel. We need to watch it this season!

    And don't you just love the Japanese version of Shall We Dance? It's so much better than the American remake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just discovered your blog...I love foreign films but I don't think I could sit down and list all the films I love the most...memory is not my strong point!...anyways I've seen and enjoyed at least 17 from your list ...will copy your list to check for new movies to rent....Hurray for Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Under Solen is my favorite movie of all time. So I will have to give some other titles on your list a try.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."