Friday, October 8, 2010

Oak Tree Memories


I sometimes think of the oak tree out back as a sort of enemy of mine. That is because my deck is being eaten alive by it  The former owners of the house built the deck around this tree about 30 years ago. When we moved here, having a smallish tree in the middle of the deck was interesting, picturesque, maybe even a little romantic.

Every couple of years a bit more of the deck has to be trimmed away to make room for the ever- expanding girth of the tree. Growth in an oak tree is exponential. At first you barely notice as it gets bigger, but soon the thing is doubling in size really fast.  As the tree grows my deck shrinks. The side closest to the house is cut off from the back side. You can't sit at the table and see who is on the bench behind the tree anymore.

I saw the tree in a new light as I watched Elijah play outside yesterday.  Ever since his Daddy began building a room in their basement, he has made copying Daddy his #1 pretend play. Everything is a hammer or a saw. The tree makes a great wall to whack with sticks/pretend hammers.


Watching Elijah play around my tree brought the huge oak tree that grew in my great-grandfather's front yard to my mind. Great Granddaddy lived in a old farmhouse...the kind you see in the South...long and low...unpainted, gray wood....ramble shack some might term it. His house had been built in two portions...probably as the family grew. One side of the house was all kitchen and dining room. The other part was best parlor, bedroom, storage room and another darkish interior room. The bathroom was out back in a little building of its own...if you get my drift.

In front of the long porch was a huge oak tree.  I remember walking on its roots and trying to stretch my arms around the trunk. It was impossible. The tree was huge.  At least from my perspective it was.


Watching Elijah, I realized that my tree will provide the same kind of experience for him.  Thinking that it might be a source of wonder for my grandchildren makes it less irritating to me. It might even be a good thing.

13 comments:

  1. Lucky you that you realized this before doing something drastic. I can understand how you feel - darn tree is in the way. You are right though that it will provide memories for Elijah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a gorgeous tree.. and so is that little darling standing next to it. I'm glad you were able to find a new love and respect for this beauty. I'm heartbroken at having to remove a tree which was planted the year my older son was born. It had developed a disease and simply had to go. My boy, whose birth it was planted for was the one who took it down for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is certainly one granddaddy of an oak! Elijah is adorable. I can't believe how he's grown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course it is a good thing. I have fond memories of the "big" trees that were in the garden of my childhood home. I climbed those trees to escape my troubles. I could see out over the neighborhood without being seen. It was a world of my own. I have since driven by the old home place and was amazed how small those trees really were when I was so small and thought they were so large. Be kind to that old tree. It will be kind to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful way to look at it now. i can remember the oak tree at my grandparents too. back in the day, my grandparents did not have a/c and we spent many sundays outside under the shade of the giant oak tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the tree and that little Elijah is precious! Memories like these are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure I can see your problem. At the same time Elijah and I just LOVE that big old oak!

    Thanks for your changing perspective ALSO, really a good write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post about a tree. I love trees and I form a connection with them. We have a beautiful row of birch trees lining our parking lot, I have posed pictures of these a few times. I watch them from my living room window, through all the seasons and I love to look at them, it puts my mind to ease.
    I was horrified the other day when my neighbor said that we might take them down. How could she even consider such thing I thought...
    Have a lovely weekend,
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen so many trees being cut down. They interfere with the power lines. It is good that such a beautiful tree will stand. I'm happy that Elijah made you find good in that tree. Great pictures of Elijah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The oak is my favourite tree. Glad little Elijah has made friends with yours.I also have wonderful memories of a grand oak in the farm yard. It had a ladder leading up into the far branches (I'm not sure why) and I spent many an hour perched up high.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elijah is a cute little carpenter!

    If you cut down the tree your deck would have to be entirely rebuilt so I think leaving it there is the best choice. It's a beautiful tree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When we bought our house 36 years ago we had many cute little trees...I even planted some...now they are huge and I can no longer garden as it is too shady. Still I could never cut one down. Your deck is unique! Elijah is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can certainly relate. We had to remove $$$$ a couple trees after living here for 10 years because the original owners planted them too close to the house and the roots started getting too close to the foundation. No more shade.... bummer!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."