Sunday, August 30, 2009

Birds of a Feather

After 7 years of working 12 minutes from Oak Mountain State Park, I decided last week to take my camera and go exploring over there on my lunch hour. (this was not my first time to go to the park, just the first time I thought of going during lunch)

My first stop was at the Petting/Exhibit Farm.

The only prior experience I had at this farm involved my kindergarten son, a baby pig and me with a big stinky wet spot on my shirt. So, I kept my distance from the larger animals and spent many minutes stalking Mr. Peacock.

Aren't his feathers the most heavenly color of blue?

After 10 minutes of following him around, I was surprised to see he has a Mrs.

She was proud to pose atop the fence and let me shoot away.

I think she knows this is her most photogenic side.

I drove on up the road and took more pictures which I'll save for another day. I don't know why this is the first time I've done this....but I'm sure I'll go back once the leaves begin to change.

16 comments:

  1. I've never been to the petting zoo - did you get the mister to spread his glory?

    can't wait to see more. (one of these would be a great addition to our new group!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images! We have something similar a short drive from where I live. It is called *Organic Gardens*, but besides organic grown plants, they also have farm animals.;)) I have been there once and fully enjoyed my visit.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stevie...great shots of the Peacocks! I'd get a pair if they weren't so noisy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peacocks are gorgeous birds. I love black and white feathers on them too. I haven't ever noticed them when looking at them in person. I guess I am always dazzled by the irredescent eyes looking back at me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Mrs Peacock is a hoot! She reminds me of Michael Sowa's Fowl With Pearls that Willows occasionally puts on her sidebar!
    That park will be beautiful in the fall when the leaves change!

    Good idea not to go back to work with any smelly spots on your clothes! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are both rather REGAL aren't they? I have always thought Peacocks were "uppity!" Your photographs PROVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those peacocks are amazing. I used to have three peacock feathers, that were my prized possessions in college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peacock feathers are supposed to be good luck ... these are great pix, Stevie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos! Who could resist a peacock. It looks like Mr. Peacock got the looks but Mrs. Peahen got the personality.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a refreshing way to spend your lunch hour!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny, I have vague memories of this place but never could place it until now...

    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peacocks are such beautiful creatures. It seems like a fun place to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When we were in Indiana we got to go to a living history museum called Conner Prairie and I got to enjoy the farm animals. I haven't seen peacocks much except at Lion Country Safari a bunch of years ago. That blue and white one you show on the fence is particularly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What pretty country side you have near you and all that lush green landscape. It's pretty brown here in California right now. Beautiful peacocks too. Can't
    wait to see the other pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i don't think i've ever seen a peacock in person (or is that in bird?) they are such interesting creatures. today i took my camera to our local arboretum, just 6 minutes from my work. what a heavenly way to spend a lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun way to spend a lunch break...Did you get to hear them scream?...I understand that peacocks sound like a screaming woman when they are calling out...:)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."