Saturday, April 26, 2008

Just Finished This Book

....."We were Birds Without Wings. You were a robin and I was a blackbird. And there were some who were eagles or vultures or pretty gold finches, but none of us had wings. For birds with wings nothing changes. They fly where they will and they know nothing about borders and their quarrels are very small. But we are always confined to earth, no matter how much we climb to the high places and flap our arms. Because we cannot fly we are condemned to do things that do not agree with us. Because we have no wings we are pushed into struggles and abominations that we did not seek and then after all that, the years go by. The mountains are leveled. The valleys rise. The rivers are blocked by sand and the cliffs fall into the sea." -Louis De Berniere

Book on CD-read by Hugh Bonneville



4 comments:

  1. That is one of my favorite Chagall paintings. I have a little framed print of it. Nice bird thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same author wrote Corelli's Mandolin. His writing has a beautiful quality to it. Very poetical. It is good to listen to because it conjures up wonderful images in the imagination.

    Chagall is one of my favorites also. I like the bride and groom prints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Hugh Bonneville, too. He had a small roll as Yuri Zhivago's father in the '05 version of Doctor Zhivago. Perfect Brit accent for poetical imagry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you get to enrich your mind while you drive to work. I wish that I have more time to do that (I suppose I could make time).

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."