Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sepia Saturday

Clarence Grover Thomason Sr., my maternal grandfather, was a newspaperman through and through. He reported his first story at the age of 12 in Shawnee, Oklahoma. At 14, he began working for the Anniston Star. During the 1930s, he founded a community newpaper known in the beginning as the Ensley Shopper. Later it was renamed the Industrial Community Press. In 1958 he was elected president of the Alabama Press Association.

He spent his life reporting on the people and the events that shaped the little city and the surrounding communities of Ensley, Alabama. This is how he recalled his life as a newspaperman, "I have lived and worked in what I think the most interesting and changing period of American and world history...from the horse and buggy days to high powered automobiles, jet propelled airplanes and the exploration of outer space. No other period in history to this time records so many changes in our country and its people. However, I predict much greater changes, and, I hope progress and human advancement in the years ahead."

But this is how I remember him best....reading the paper.

17 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Steviewren! What a wonderful man he must have been - so interesting and interested in everything.

    Have you signed on at the Sepia Saturday website so the others can read your terrific post? Don't forget to link back to us.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stevie, I'm so glad your joined in! What a wonderful story...first story at age 12...wow. I love that last photo best! Bet he was a very interesting man with lots of stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, great photo at the end. You have a very nice blog indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely inherited that literary DNA, Stevie! Your grandfather would be proud of your blog. That last photo is just fabulous, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What A Great Life.Interesting Times He Lived In.I Wonder What He Would Make Of Blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a truly impressive family history. Obviously, the love for writing and your artistic skills are inherited from this side of your family.
    Beautiful vintage photographs, but I love the last picture.
    Enjoy your warmer weather and have a lovely weekend,
    xo
    Zuzana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet he would have loved blogging! A much quicker way of reaching a mass audience than waiting for the news to go to press. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with him. I think he lived through one of the most dynamic and interesting times in all of human history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely tribute! Love your final photo of him - great portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having had a close association with a provincial newspaper, I know how important local news is to a community. Your grandfather dedicated his life's work to the industry. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great Sepia Saturday post. We get to see - and hear about - two sides of the man : the public and the private. Great memories. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Makes you wonder how he would have felt about the internet and blogs and Blackberrys. He sounds like an amazing man. Thanks for sharing him with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was so interesting to learn about your grandfather, Stevie! He sounds like a very astute and interesting man. Love the last photo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite an incredible career! Great post on an interesting person, to be sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, that just warms my heart! What a lovely memory you have. And he's right, he did report stories on the best times in America... still young in my opinion and full of new beginnings and now forgotten traditions. Lurve the last photo with him in his pressed shirt and tie reading the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love newspaper stories. Worked in that industry for 15 years - hence the weak spot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed my visit!

    Julie
    www.equusvilla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."